Services provided: SEO
An online presence malfunction
Merk America had previously been promised the world by other SEO services before, but only saw average results and inconsistent traffic.
After receiving poor SEO advice and spending tens of thousands of dollars on sloppy technical audits & SEO advice, Merk America were looking for an upgrade for their online presence.
Diagnosing the problem
After some troubleshooting, we discovered hundreds of technical errors that were missed by the expensive ‘technical’ audit from their previous SEO service. These were:
- Non specific duplicate Title Tags not designed to drive action by users nor provide relevant information to search engines about the content of the pages of the site
- Indexing of non relevant, duplicate pages with no additional value to users arising from tagging and categorisation function used in the blog
- Overstuffing of meta keywords tag
- Incorrect handling of canonical urls
- Poor theming was identified after domain authority checks and keyword relevance checks. We found that traffic was coming from poor keywords with low conversion rates. Paid traffic was driving a lot of the revenue and there was no analysis or focus on terms that were providing the bulk of the sales.
- Duplicate & missing Meta Descriptions on a significant percentage of pages on the leading to either repetitive or random, sometimes irrelevant snippets
- Significant amounts of thin content pages that added little value to users
- Inefficient site architecture causing crawlability problems for search engines
- Errors in handling of 404 errors
- Previous SEO campaigns were being overoptimizing the home page for a wide variety of general terms, including product specific long tail term that had high sales conversion rates.
major drops similar to the above occurred with: panda #1 (23 February 2011), panda #4 (21 June 2011), panda #24 (22 January 2013), and Panda Dance (11 June 2013)
- strong possibility of a penguin penalty